This collection, the publisher tells us,
brings together a team of leading international scholars to explore the origins, evolution, and contemporary debates relating to Christian mystics, texts, and the movements they inspired.
- Provides a comprehensive and engaging account of Christian mysticism, from its origins right up to the present day
- Draws on the best of current scholarship by bringing together a collection of newly-commissioned readings by leading scholars
- Considers examples of mysticism in both Eastern and Western Christianity
- Offers a brilliant synthesis of the key figures and historical periods of mysticism; its core themes, such as heresy, gender, or aesthetics; and its theoretical considerations, including theological, literary, social scientific, and philosophical approaches
- Features chapters on current debates such as neuroscience and mystical experience, and inter-religious dialogue